Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Late Start

Hello and welcome.

If you're reading this then you have most probably taken the time to read the "about me" thing and have gotten a small peek at where I'm at in heart and mind. I titled this post Late Start because that's just what it is. I've tried blogging before and didn't get very far. After the first 5 or 6 posts I just dwindled off to nothing. I think there is some good stuff over there but maybe I need to do something else with it. Something about taking the time to sit down and collect my thoughts on paper (electronic or otherwise) that I just haven't been able to bring myself to on a regular basis. This particular blog was created a month or so ago and this is the first post to it. So.....Late Start.

I've had friends tell me that I write well and that I should at least journal. I guess that's what this is in a way. Whether my friends are being honest or just kind is something that you can decide for yourself. I like to write but honestly, I've never written anything that really meant anything to anyone. Personal letters perhaps. Recently, I met a woman that is a writer. She does this part time while maintaining the complex management of her household. Her advice to me? Write everyday and don't give up your day job. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Sage advice to people that write, passed down through the ages.

In my daily life, I commute one hour each way to and from work. When I was younger, the time was spent mostly listening to the radio. Now-a-days, I spend that time just thinking about things. My life. Things I see on the interstate. Ideas, notions, perceptions, musings. Many times I've had, what I consider, profound epiphanies about life in general but they slipped away as I maneuvered through traffic or was distracted by the beauty of tree lined asphalt and well manicured medians. Someone suggested to me that I should keep a recorder with me as I drive and jot my thoughts down there for later recollection. I may try that. I guess it would be better than trying to write on paper and drive at the same time.

Anyway.

I suppose that's what this blog will be about as time progresses. Thoughts and musings while driving. I'm sure other areas of my life will find their way in here as well. That is if I can be faithful and consistent enough to write every day or so. I hope you'll come back from time to time and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

sue said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging... (again).

Day Traveler said...

Thank you and welcome, Sue!