Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Recital

I have children. I am a father of both sons and daughters. Though it’s easy to go through the days on earth not really thinking too much about that aspect of life, just accepting that you are a parent and trying to do what is good and right for them, it is I believe the most important thing that I’ve ever done.

Though I have quite a few children, nine actually, only one makes the effort to keep in touch with me. My youngest daughter is so faithful about calling me that I wonder what might be wrong if she misses a day. I cherish those phone calls. It is often when they come at inopportune times but I don’t want to miss one. As all of the others have been growing, my communications with them have become less and less frequent. With some, I’m reduced to writing letters that are never answered. Some I see briefly when I pick up the youngest ones for my weekend, sharing a quick hug, an I love you. I have such longing for them. I want so much for them to seek me out. To talk to me of what is in their hearts and minds.

I suppose my life isn’t much different than many others that have started out young, got married, had children. Work hard to provide for the family. Long hours, time apart due to work, chores and honey dos all use up the most valuable of commodities, time. There a myriad of things that can take up your time at home, leaving precious little to spend with children. In years past, I would get so focused on getting what needs to be done accomplished, that I wouldn’t even take them with me to the various stores to buy parts or even to shop for groceries. It would take a little extra time and that was something I couldn’t afford. I thought. The sad truth is that I didn’t make an investment in time for them that would have paid dividends today which are priceless. The woman I was married to, their mother, used to tell me all the time that if I didn’t change my ways I’d regret it in the end. She was wise in that assessment and often reminded me of that song by Harry Chapin, Cats in the Cradle. You know the one.

Recently, my two youngest girls have been taking piano lessons. Last weekend, they had a recital which took place in the teacher’s church. My baby girl called and asked me every day for two weeks if I was coming to the event. She had played her piece over the phone for me several times and it was just a simple little beginner’s tune. It took maybe 30 seconds to play and she did struggle with Roman Trumpets a bit in practice. My knee baby girl is a little more accomplished and had two pieces to play, Sonatina in C and Sleeping Beauty. There were other children and young adults there. Some of the students were absolutely magnificent. When the one young man played a piece by Rachmaninoff, it was as if I were listening to a professional, concert pianist. The real joy for me though was not the music. It was the light in my child’s eyes that said to me I love you dad. Thank you for being interested enough in me to come. I love you for being my dad and for being here with me on my special day. It was her happiness that gave me joy.

I have learned some hard lessons about the fruit of my relationships with my children. I would not have missed that recital for anything in the world. The music, and performing well, was important to my girls but they are young. They can’t yet look back and see the effects of time and energy misspent. What the ultimate cost is for neglecting the little things of love and for living a life that is fundamentally self centered. As I’ve grown older, I have begun to understand that even though work, money, security, personal space, etc. are all important in their own way, none of that can provide the kind of peace and comfort that comes from a warm, close, loving relationship with one’s children. I never thought much about grandchildren when I was younger. It’s on my mind often these days. Will I ever get to hold them in my arms, change their diapers or help to raise them? Or, will it just be loneliness in my old age with the obligatory yearly phone call to dad? It’s hard to think about these things when one is young. I just couldn’t see it then.

My daughters played flawlessly by the way. They had put their time and energy into something they cared about and were happy with the end result. All actions have consequences, be them good or bad. We may not want see that clearly while running down the road of life at full tilt but it would be wise to consider when children are involved. I may have shaped my kids into my own image, at least an earlier edition of me, but I want to believe there is still hope that I may become a better man for them and that I might find another chance to be the dad they deserved and do deserve today.

6 comments:

100 Thoughts of Love said...

I know few men in this world who are as dedicated to thier children as you...even if from some distance, as you have to live now. They will know you love them, and will return that to you one day. Never give up on that.

sue said...

I have faith that if you believe things can be better... they will be. I made so many mistakes when my kids (2 girls, 2 boys) were young and thank goodness they have forgiven me for all the terrible things I did. I am so blessed that now we are the best of friends and they love me and each other and actually get along. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. Kids can forgive a lot as long as we don't act like we know it all and that we are perfect. I've told them many times, they didn't come with an instruction book and I did the best I could, but that it wasn't the way it should have been. I'm much better now. :)

Just from this post I can tell you love your kids and that, my friend, is the biggest step of all.

Day Traveler said...

Well Pat, like I said, I'm sure that I am not that much different from most parents. Ones that actually see children as a blessing anyway. God knows that I do love them and would die for them if need be. I hope you're right.

Day Traveler said...

Thank you Sue.
I'm inclined to go with faith also. It's about all that I have left in that world.

There were a lot of mistakes in my life with children as well. It lifts my spirit to know that all is well with you and yours.

I do love them and never miss an opportunity to tell them or show them. I hope some day it will all come back.

Vietnam Veterans: Brothers Forever said...

Brother, just remember where you came from. You are an extraordinary man, a Phonix who has risen above it all to spread your wings and fly. You have taught all your children the right things. You have taught them the art of living, loving, feeling, compassion and survival. I'd say that is pretty good for the Knee baby.
Love you Man
El

Day Traveler said...

Thank you brother. I believe that I did give them a good foundation. My hope is that the Bible's promise that "when they are older they won't depart from it" comes to pass in my lifetime.
Love you too man.